Get impressed and outfitted to construct successful white papers. Let’s go!
Obtain Your White Paper Template
Need a head begin together with your white paper? Seize our white paper template—it gives you a easy however highly effective construction to work with, together with notes for every sort of part.
20 White Paper Examples
Wish to get impressed by white paper examples that work? Take a look at the listing beneath and see how of us like Apple, Amazon, and Vox Media method their white papers.
- Planning a Power BI Enterprise Deployment (Microsoft)
- A Guide to Financial Governance in the Cloud (Google)
- Navigating GDPR Compliance on AWS (Amazon)
- Why Better Mac Security Starts with Cloud Identity (Jamf)
- The State of Content (Mis) Management (Vox Media)
- Future State of Business 2021 Outlook (Samsung)
- What Developers Want (CodinGame)
- Privacy and the GDPR (BDO)
- Networking and Your Competitive Edge (Cisco)
- The Data-Inspired Art of Sales Acceleration (Dun & Bradstreet)
- Google Cloud Security and Compliance (Google)
- Interactive Content Basics (Rock Content)
- The Sophisticated Marketer’s Guide to Content Marketing (LinkedIn)
- Powering Your Content With Artificial Intelligence (Nuxeo)
- Simplify Production Scheduling With Intelligent Gantt Chart Visualization (Netronic)
- Employee Engagement (Business Agility Institute)
- Informix on Cloud (IBM)
- 10 Best Practices for Building Effective Dashboards (Tableau)
- Switching From Microsoft Dynamics GP to The Cloud (Netsuite)
- How to Use Instagram for Business (fortmic)
5 Kinds of White Papers
White papers can take completely different kinds and enable you to obtain a variety of goals. Listed below are the categories to contemplate.
Technical White Paper
- Describes how know-how solves a particular drawback
- Focuses on a particular product or a technical course of behind an answer
- Options diagrams, tables, and flowcharts
- Instance: Oracle’s white paper
Enterprise Advantages White Paper
Product Comparability White Paper
- Targets readers who know the kind of product they’re shopping for, however haven’t but picked a vendor
- Used to match your product and its options with these out of your rivals
- Instance: dotSource’s Selecting Marketing Automation Systems white paper
How-To / Drawback-Fixing White Paper
- Codecs the answer to a standard business wrestle
- Deeper and extra advanced than what you’d cowl in a daily weblog submit
- Best for lead era on the high of your funnel
- Instance: FreshBooks’ 6 Smart Ways To Future-Proof Your Business.
Thought Management White Paper
- Means that you can place an authentic idea inside your market
- Sometimes challenges a generally accepted perception or approach of fixing an issue
- Makes use of distinctive knowledge and expertise to introduce a brand new method
- Instance: Inbound Marketing by Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah.
What Does A White Paper Look Like?
Your white paper must be straightforward to navigate. Sections ought to naturally lead into one another. Use formatting to make your white paper skimmable, and graphics to attract consideration to the important thing factors you’re making.
Listed below are the important thing elements your white paper ought to have:
- Title web page
- Desk of contents
- Government abstract
- Sections and subsections
- Graphics, charts, and/or sidebars
- About your organization
What Are White Papers, Precisely?
A white paper is a advertising and marketing asset that argues a particular place or solves an issue on your viewers. It’s a doc that helps you identify topical authority and share authentic insights, knowledge, and experience.
Firms, manufacturers, and nonprofits package deal white papers into PDF paperwork and supply them in change for an e mail deal with (and sometimes extra info, like firm dimension, job function, and site). This makes them an important lead magnet.
When Is A White Paper The Proper Content material Format?
White papers could be a useful gizmo in each stage of your sales funnel. At the top of the funnel, you can focus on in-depth education; for prospects later in the funnel, you can share practical, action-driven tips.
Here are examples of both:
Writing Your White Paper
Now that you know what your outline should look like, you’re ready to write your white paper.
Step 1: Craft an engaging headline
Best white paper headlines are those that connect your topic with an outcome your reader craves.
A strong headline includes:
- Word balance: a mix of common, uncommon, emotional, and power words
- Length: optimized for visibility and click-throughs on search engines and social media
- Type of headline: types of headlines include ‘“why” headlines, how-to, and question headlines
- Clarity and skimmability: simplified for easy reading and understanding at a glance
Start by listing headline options. Check out these headline formulas and templates and these 73 (!) ways to write a winning headline.
From there, jump into Headline Analyzer Studio and check your strongest headline options against suggestions. Use the word bank to strengthen these headlines and pick your favorite to use in your white paper.
Step 2: Formulate your introduction
Your introduction bridges the promise from your headline and executive summary with the key points and sections of your white paper.
Best introductions help the reader:
- Feel like they’re in the right place, reading the right white paper based on the problem they want to solve
- Get a high level overview of what you’ll cover
- Prove you do have the answers they’re looking for
To achieve this, use your introduction to tease upcoming sections and touch on the data, resources, experts, and original research you’ll use to make your points.
Step 3: Write each subsection based on outline and research
Each subsection should make a distinct point, like define a step of a process or make a specific argument.
If you’ve researched and outlined your white paper in an organized way, writing your white paper subsections should be relatively easy.
As you write, you might notice a gap in your research or a subsection that could be added based on the narrative you’re developing. If that happens, make a note and come back to it towards the end of your writing to fill those gaps.
Step 4: Determine any images you’ll need
Is there data or an idea that would be best presented visually?
We’ll get to the design process itself in a minute, but in this step, mark any segments that would benefit from a visual asset. Get specific about the exact visuals you need.
- A graph or chart of an important data point
- A one-pager with a key statistic or quote
- Comparison tables
- Custom illustrations
Step 5: Review and edit (both for content and style)
With your first draft done, it’s time to review and edit your work—or hand it over to your editor, if you have one.
Then, dig deeper to verify the movement of your white paper and the power of the factors you’re making. This consists of:
- Objective: Does the content material fulfill its promise? Does it reply all of the questions your reader may need?
- Construction: Is the construction optimized for engagement and completion?
- Info: Is the whole lot factually correct? Double-check information, statistics, hyperlinks, and sources.
- Understanding: How straightforward is your writing to know? If there may be language or jargon your viewers could not perceive, notice it and take into account options. This may be corrected with a easy search on Thesaurus.com.
Pay attention to any components it’s essential reposition, phrase otherwise, or make clear. When you undergo all the doc, leap into these edits.
Seize some extra modifying suggestions right here should you want them.
Designing Your White Paper
Comply with these easy steps to show your written white paper right into a well-designed doc.
Step 1: Create the quilt web page
Your white paper’s cowl web page might be so simple as the one we’ve given you within the white paper template:
However you may as well work together with your designer to construct a model with model colours or customized illustrations.
An alternative choice is utilizing a instrument like Venngage, which provides you ready-to-use white paper designs. You may pick a template that matches your white paper sort and customise your colours and visuals:
Step 2: Design any needed inline graphics
When you have the graphic design expertise, construct your individual charts and graphs. Instruments like Canva make this fairly straightforward, particularly with templates like those for infographics.
When you have the choice to work with a designer, right here’s a easy template you should utilize to transient them on pictures you’d like so as to add to your white paper.
GRAPHIC HEADLINE: [Include a brief header or title for your graphic]
GRAPHIC COPY: [Include descriptive copy]
GRAPHIC DATA: [Include statistics, numbers, percentages, metrics, and so forth]
GRAPHIC NOTES: [Include other thoughts or image direction for your designer]
That ought to be sufficient to offer your designer an thought of what to create.
Step 3: Construction white paper in appropriate column structure
Your white paper may work completely in a single-column structure, but when it’s notably lengthy, you may need to take into account a two- or three-column structure.
Right here’s what a three-column structure appears like in The state of content (mis)management white paper:
When you have a designer accountable for visuals, allow them to learn about your structure resolution. And should you’re working from our template, work from the Structure tab to arrange your columns:
Selling Your White Paper
Lastly, get your white paper in entrance of as many goal readers as you may. Use these steps to information you (and keep in mind to construct promotion right into a advertising and marketing calendar like fortmic, too).
Step 1: Add it to a useful resource or white paper hub web page
Make your white paper straightforward to entry on your website guests. This may be on a devoted content material hub, like a sources web page or a white paper hub web page.
Step 2: Let gross sales and help realize it exists to allow them to share it with prospects and prospects
Attain out to each your gross sales and buyer help groups and share your white paper with them.
For these groups, it could possibly turn into an important bonus useful resource to make use of in gross sales conversations to ascertain authority. It additionally helps them in teaching prospects to success and constructing buyer loyalty.
Step 3: Advertise strategically with paid promoting
Run paid promoting campaigns on channels like Google, LinkedIn, and Fb to succeed in your goal readers strategically.
Step 4: Use your e mail listing
Lastly, don’t overlook your e mail listing! One of the simplest ways to make use of your e mail listing for white paper promotion is to phase it by pursuits and solely ship to subscribers that match the subject of your white paper.
Prepared. Set. Write.
You made it—you’re able to analysis, plan, write, design, and promote an distinctive white paper.
Comply with this course of to construct a chunk of content material that can serve your advertising and marketing and enterprise targets for a lot of months and years to come back. Don’t skip the promotion and repurposing efforts to make your work go a good distance.